National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is an intensive, interactive experience in outdoor living and leadership skills development. Youth staff members work throughout the year to plan and develop the week-long training and conduct the course. Experienced and trained adult leaders closely and continually monitor all elements of the program.
NYLT is an opportunity for Scouts/Venturers to develop leadership skills that will help them better serve their own units. The training week is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations that demand leadership of self and others. We invite you to be a part of this growth experience!
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts BSA members must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops. Scouts are also required to earn the First Class rank before attending NYLT.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation
$375 paid in full – Early bird pricing (on or before 4/31 for session 1 and 5/15 for session 2)
$425 paid in full- Standard pricing (after 4/31 for session 1 and 5/15 for session 2)
Pay online or in person at the Scout offices.
Chesebrough Scout Reservation
Los Gatos, CA 95033